Monday, February 16, 2026

MUNA unveil fourth album Dancing On The Wall

MUNA have confirmed details of their highly anticipated fourth album, Dancing On The Wall, set for release on May 8.
Home Royal

Royal

Prince Charles encourages over-50s employment


Britain's Prince Charles is encouraging companies to employ more over-50s.
The heir to the throne's charity PRIME, meaning Prince's Initiative for Mature Enterprise, is to launch a campaign today (23.10.14) to encourage employers to give jobs to some of the 1.1 million, dubbed the "missing million", who are 50 and over and want to work again.
Stephen Howard, chief executive of Business in the Community, said: "There are a significant number of over-50s who would be willing to work if the right opportunity arose but we are failing to harness their potential.
"We need to successfully address the needs of this missing million, who have been forced out of work prematurely. By doing so, we will not only help individuals achieve a financially secure, meaningful and productive future, but also retain valuable knowledge, skills and experience for the benefit of the economy, businesses and communities."
According to research by PRIME, more than 1.5 million aged 50 and over have left work involuntarily in the past eight years due to various reasons, such as ill health and redundancy, but 1.1 million are keen to get back to work.
What's more, the charity has also predicted this could boost the British economy by £88 billion.

Queen Elizabeth serves up chocolate ice cream for President


Britain's Queen Elizabeth treated the Singapore President to a meal of pheasant and chocolate ice cream yesterday (21.10.14).
The 88-year-old monarch hosted a banquet for Tony Tan and his wife Mary at Buckingham Palace, and there were a number of delicacies on the menu including poached supreme of Windsor Estate pheasant with truffles and a chocolate ice cream bombe with a praline ice cream centre.
Chefs worked "seamlessly" behind the scenes on the treat-filled menu, which was served to 170 guests at the meal.
An extract from a blog post on the official website of the British Monarchy read: "During the afternoon, the finishing touches were being put in place for the evening's State Banquet, which saw 170 guests welcomed to Buckingham Palace as part of the State Visit celebrations.
"As guests arrived for the State Banquet, behind the scenes the chefs in the Royal kitchens were seamlessly working together to create the evening's menu, which featured a Roulade of Dover Sole and Windsor Estate Pheasant."
Following the meal, the queen made a speech about the strong historical links between the two countries.
She said: "As well as a common heritage, our countries share a wealth of common interests.
"Mr. President, your visit is an opportunity to celebrate the links between our two countries, developed over almost two centuries"
Earlier in the day, the queen, along with her husband Prince Philip, and grandson Prince William and his wife Duchess Catherine took part in a carriage procession with the Singapore President and his wife.

Duchess Catherine meets David Attenborough on return


Duchess Catherine met Sir David Attenborough in her second royal engagement in 11 weeks last night (21.10.14).
The Duchess of Cambridge was introduced to dignitaries by the 88-year-old broadcaster at London's Natural History Museum for the Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2014 Awards in her second royal outing since announcing she is pregnant with her and Prince William's second child.
Catherine has been suffering from severe morning sickness, but she showed no signs of illness last night as she was seen chatting away to guests and looking very happy.
The brunette royal, who is 13 weeks pregnant, also dazzled in a striking pale blue floor-length Jenny Packham dress which showed off plenty of her slim pins.
She was also on hand to present the World Wildlife Photographer of Year award to a triumphant Mike Nichols, who looked overjoyed to receive the accolade from the royal.
Catherine's outing last night comes after she took part in her first royal duty for 11 weeks when she met Singapore President Tony Tan and his wife Mary earlier in the day.
When Mary said she was pleased Catherine was able to make their meeting, the duchess replied: "So am I. I've been looking forward to getting out of the house, that's for sure."
Kensington Palace confirmed on Monday (20.10.14) that the duchess is due to give birth in April and also revealed her severe morning sickness is "steadily improving".
The statement is thought to have ended speculation that William and Catherine - who have 15-month-old son Prince George - could be expecting twins as the palace wrote she is expecting "a baby".
It read: "Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted to confirm they are expecting a baby in April 2015.
"The Duchess of Cambridge continues to be affected by Hyperemisis Gravidarum, but her condition is steadily improving."

Princess Anne praises Queensland beef


Britain's Princess Anne paid tribute to Queensland's beef yesterday (21.10.14).
The 64-year-old royal is currently in Australia to attend the Royal Agricultural Society of the Commonwealth conference at the RNA showgrounds, and she took some time to congratulate the state on its beef production and how they managed to deal with flooding in recent years.
She said: "Its history as a producer and exporter, particularly of beef, in Australia and a world leader in livestock production, management and technologies is widely renowned.
"It is also renowned for exhibiting that extraordinary strength and resilience in the wake of certainly things like this drought but in previous years, extraordinary devastation caused by flooding."
The princess also paid tribute to the agricultural workers of Queensland for dealing with regular drought, admitting she has "huge sympathy" for them.
She added: "Those of us who live in slightly wetter places on a normal basis I don't think really quite understand what a drought truly means here, and that we have huge sympathy for.
"I know it rather kindly rained just before I arrived - I suspect that probably wasn't enough."
Anne touched down in Brisbane yesterday morning (21.10.14) ahead of the four-day conference.

Duchess Catherine to attend autumn gala


Britain's Duchess Catherine will attend an Autumn Gala Evening tomorrow night (23.10.14).
The 32-year-old royal, who is suffering from severe morning sickness during her second pregnancy, will make the short journey to the event put on by charity Action Addiction, of which the duchess is patron.
A message on the Clarence House official Twitter account confirmed: "The Duchess of Cambridge will attend an Autumn Gala Evening in London in support of @ActionAddiction - HRH is Patron"
Following the news, the charity admitted it was delighted Catherine is going to be joining them on their big night.
A tweet on the Action Addiction Twitter read: "@BritishMonarchy @ClarenceHouse We are very excited that our Patron, HRH The Duchess of Cambridge will be attending our Autumn Gala Evening! (sic)"
The forthcoming royal engagement will be Catherine's third is as many days after she attended two yesterday (21.10.14), her first royal duties for 11 weeks.
The Duchess of Cambridge - who has 15-month-old son Prince George with husband Prince William - met Singapore President Tony Tan and his wife Mary yesterday morning and later that evening she attended the Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2014 Awards at the Natural History Museum in central London.

Duchess Catherine pleased to ‘get out of the house’


Britain's Duchess Catherine admitted yesterday (21.10.14) she had been "looking forward to getting out of the house".
The 32-year-old royal has been suffering severe morning sickness throughout her second pregnancy, but made her first public appearance since announcing she is expecting her and Prince William's second child - her first royal engagement in 11 weeks - at the Royal Garden Hotel in central London as she greeted Singapore President Tony Tan and his wife Mary.
When Mary said she was pleased Catherine was able to make their meeting, the duchess replied: "So am I. I've been looking forward to getting out of the house, that's for sure."
The duchess - who also suffered severe morning sickness while pregnant with her and William's son Prince George, who is now 15 months old - was in fine form as she greeted the pair, and joked the weather was much worse compared to when they last met in Singapore during the royal couple's 2012 Asia-Pacific tour.
She said: "It's a bit colder than when we last met."
After meeting the pair at the hotel, William and Catherine - previously known as Kate Middleton prior to her nuptials - headed to Horse Guards Parade, where the Singapore President was greeted by Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
The three couples then travelled to Buckingham Palace in a carriage procession before enjoying a lunch hosted by the 88-year-old monarch, which Catherine had already planned not to attend.
Despite still suffering from severe morning sickness, a Kensington Palace statement on Monday (20.10.14) revealed her condition is "steadily improving".

Prince Harry reunited with firefighters


Britain's Prince Harry was reunited with a group of firefighters who were targeted in riots three years ago.
The 30-year-old royal returned to Salford Fire Station yesterday (20.10.14) to visit the emergency services personnel who had bricks thrown at them during the infamous 2011 Salford riots, in Greater Manchester, north west England - and they were really pleased to see him again.
Crew member Max Murphy told the Manchester Evening News newspaper: "It was really good of him to come back, we're delighted to see him.
"He was interested in what we did last time and what's gone on since.
"The informality was really refreshing."
Harry visited the fire station shortly after the riots in 2011 when the officers and their engine came under attack when their vehicle got trapped on a night of rioting in the area.
During the flame-haired royal's last visit he was shown footage from the violent incident and crew member Ray Shiel said he was "flabbergasted".
He explained: "After we'd been trapped in the middle of the riots, I went through the footage on CCTV with him, explaining what it was like to work that evening and he was flabbergasted."
Several riots also occurred in neighbouring Manchester and London during a terrible five days for the country in August 2011, resulting in looting and arson.
After the rioting began in London, the media dubbed similar incidents throughout the country "copycat violence".

Camilla avoids goat encounter


Britain's Duchess of Cornwall avoided repeating an awkward encounter with a goat yesterday (20.10.14) by keeping her distance from the animals.
The 67-year-old royal came face-to-face with the farm animals at the National Harvest Service in Birmingham, West Midlands, but she deliberately stood away from the beasts before checking they were "subdued" after she was forced to wrestle her bag back from one in May 2006.
On this occasion, Camilla handed her bag to a minder to look after while she got a closer look at the goats and she was "amazed" just how quiet the animals were - a contrast to the cheeky four-legged friend who had a nibble of her handbag during a visit to a creamery in Northern Ireland eight years ago.
Farmer Richard Craddock Mr Craddock, manager of Hatton Adventure World, is quoted by MailOnline as saying: "Camilla seemed very comfortable with the animals.
"She said to me 'the goats are very quiet' and seemed quite pleased they were subdued.
"She seemed amazed how quiet they were and even tried to feed one some straw but it didn't seem that interested."
After avoiding the awkward encounter, the duchess was presented with harvest boxes - which came complete with an array of home-grown produce - from 360 children at the National Harvest Service at St Philip's Cathedral in Birmingham.

Duchess Catherine to miss lunch


Britain's Duchess Catherine will miss a state lunch today (21.10.14) but will still return to duties for the first time in 11 weeks.
According to Buckingham Palace officials, the 32-year-old royal - who has been suffering from severe morning sickness while pregnant with her and husband Prince William's second baby - will take part in a carriage procession with Singapore's President Tony Tan but not an arranged lunch.
She will be joined by William as well as Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip for the procession, which will return to the palace, but is unable to make the lunch, which will be hosted by the 88-year-old monarch.
As well as being Catherine's first public appearance since her second pregnancy was announced, it will also be her first formal role in a state visit.
While Catherine - known as Kate Middleton before her nuptials - is still suffering from severe morning sickness, a Kensington Palace statement released yesterday (20.10.14) revealed her condition is "steadily improving".
Part of the statement read: "The Duchess of Cambridge continues to be affected by Hyperemisis Gravidarum, but her condition is steadily improving."
Kensington Palace also confirmed William and Catherine - who have 14-month-old son Prince George - are expecting their second baby in April.
It read: "Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted to confirm they are expecting a baby in April 2015."

Must Read

Noel Gallagher to ‘have it out’ on BRITs red carpet amid songwriter prize criticism

Noel Gallagher has vowed to "have it out on the red carpet" with anyone who disagrees with him receiving the Songwriter of...

Robbie Williams has ‘apologised a million times’ to Gary Barlow for his behaviour

Robbie Williams has admitted he still feels guilty about the way he treated Gary Barlow during their most turbulent years, telling fans...

Matty Healy confirms The 1975 are back in the studio

The 1975 are hard at work in the studio. Frontman Matty Healy has admitted he's not getting much shut-eye at...