Friday, February 20, 2026

Fundraiser launched for permanent Gary ‘Mani’ Mounfield’ tribute in Manchester

A fundraiser has been launched for a permanent mural in tribute to Gary 'Mani' Mounfield. The Stone Roses icon,...
Home Royal

Royal

Prince Charles to ‘reconcile’ IRA and Britain


Prince Charles is to meet Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams today (19.05.15) to promote "reconciliation and healing".
Mr Adams will be among a number of politicians to greet the prince as he begins his four-day royal visit to Ireland, and the meeting in Galway will be the first in the Republic of Ireland between the Sinn Féin leadership and a member of the British Royal Family.
Prince Charles has always denied he's a member of the IRA, and during his trip to Ireland, Charles, who will be joined by the Duchess of Cornwall, will visit the village of Mullaghmore in County Sligo - where his great-uncle, Earl Mountbatten, was killed by an IRA bomb in 1979.
Party chairman Declan Kearney said the Prince will be meeting Mr Adams, as well as Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness, in order to reconcile Britain and IRA's troubled past.
He told BBC News: "This was agreed to promote the process of resolving past injustices and promoting reconciliation and healing.".
Prince Charles' mother, the Queen of England visited Belfast in 2012, where she met Mr McGuinness. Their handshake at the Lyric Theatre was considered a historic event.
Speaking when the visit was announced, Mr Adams said the meeting between the two countries would be "an opportunity to promote reconciliation and build on the good work done by Martin McGuinness and the English Queen".

The Queen ‘delighted’ at ‘nervous’ Prince Harry’s garden


The Queen was "delighted" at an "extremely nervous" Prince Harry's garden in the Chelsea Flower Show.
Her Majesty gave her grandson the royal seal of approval as she visited his garden yesterday (18.05.15), designed by Matthew Keightley for the Prince's charity Sentebale to mimic the look of Lesotho, the country in which it helps vulnerable, HIV positive children.
Aides said Prince Harry had been "extremely nervous" as he waited anxiously to show his grandmother around the garden, but the Queen was very complimentary.
The charity's chairman, Philip Green, who accompanied the group, said: "Prince Harry was beyond nervous at what his grandmother's reaction would be but she was delighted.
"The Queen was hugely complimentary about the planting and very knowledgeable about the charity and what it is trying to achieve."
The Prince guided the Queen around the garden, which featured a moving series of footprints made from casts taken from some of the children that Sentebale has helped, and were soon joined by Harry's father, Prince Charles, and step-mother the Duchess of Cornwall, and later by Prince Philip, his grandfather.
Phillip Green told the MailOnline: "I would say that Harry was even more nervous about his father's reaction. The Prince of Wales is obviously a very keen and talented gardener himself.
"Prince Harry was genuinely thrilled - and not a little relieved - at his reaction. There is a genuine closeness between Prince Harry and all his family. And they made clear how pleased they were for him and how proud."

The Queen set to visit Nazi camps in Germany


The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will visit the Bergen-Belsen concentration camps during her state visit to Germany.
Her Majesty will pay her respects to the tens of thousands of people who died at the hands of the Nazis whilst encaptured at the camps - including Anne Frank and her sister Margot - which were liberated by British troops 70 years ago.
During the visit Her Majesty will also meet small groups of survivors and liberators and representatives of Jewish and Christian communities.
The royal couple's four day visit to Germany will begin on June 23 and they will also meet Chancellor Angela Merkel and attend a state banquet in their honour, as well as visit Frankfurt with Germany's Federal President Joachim Gauck and his partner, Daniela Schadt.
While in the city the royal couple will tour St Paul's Church, where they will meet some of the local community.
Meanwhile, the Queen is due to visit the Chelsea Flower Show today (18.05.15), ahead of its opening to the public tomorrow (19.05.15), and her grandson Prince Harry has already been to see the garden designed for his charity, Sentebale, which helps children in Lesotho.
The Prince - who is yet to meet Princess Charlotte, despite her now being 16 days old - said the garden is "everything he could have wished for" and he "can't wait" to show it to the rest of the royal family.

Prince Harry visits Chelsea Flower Show


Prince Harry has visited this year's Chelsea Flower Show, ahead of a visit by the Queen.
The 30-year-old fifth in line to the throne has just arrived home from a tour of Australia and New Zealand, and his first stop back in London was a tour of the garden designed for his charity, Sentebale - which helps children in Lesotho.
The Prince - who is yet to meet Princess Charlotte, despite her now being 16 days old - said the garden is "everything he could have wished for" and he "can't wait" to show it to the rest of the royal family.
Prince Harry said: "It's fantastic, it's everything I could have wished for. I think, from the first stages, when we sat down all those months ago, from all the sketches of what it would look like, this is exactly how I'd imagined it.
"It's kind of perfect, and if my garden was big enough, then I'd try and move it to my garden."
Designed by Matt Keightley, the garden was inspired by South Africa, and Prince Harry confirmed that some parts are "exactly like Africa".
Speaking to BBC Breakfast, he said: "There are certain parts of this (garden) that are exactly like Africa, and some of it takes you on this journey of what it could be like, and I am aware that a lot of people haven't been to Africa, let alone Lesotho, so this is our way of bringing a little bit of Lesotho to Chelsea."

Prince Harry caught a crocodile in Australia


Prince Harry helped capture a crocodile during his tour of Australia.
Newly released pictures have shown the 30-year-old Prince hauling the 3.1m (10ft) reptile from Darwin Harbour, and wildlife ranger Erin Britton said he did a "great job" helping the crocodile management team in the removal of the saltwater crocodile. According to the BBC, he added that the prince would make "a great croc catcher".
Rangers in the Northern Territory remove crocodiles from waterways used for boating and fishing to limit the risk of fatalities and injuries.
The Parks and Wildlife Commission Northern Territory says more than 200 crocodiles, common in Australia's tropical north, are removed from Darwin Harbour each year in order to limit the risk of fatalities and injuries. The crocodiles are then taken to crocodile farms or killed.
Meanwhile, Prince Harry has spent a week in New Zealand, and, on his final day in the country yesterday (17.05.15), Prince Harry took part in a five-a-side game with a group of young players to promote the Fifa under-20 World Cup, and scored a winning goal in the last few seconds of a football match to the delight of a cheering crowd.
After the 8-7 victory in Auckland, he said: "I've had a great time and that win was so well-scripted, thank you."
New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, who was made team coach, praised the prince's "great display of athletic ability and sheer presence".
He said: "If you want a spot in the New Zealand team, call us any time, it's yours."

Swedish Prince Carl Phillip and Sofia Hellqvist marrying in June

Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist have announced they will be getting married on 13 June. At a traditional church service in Stockholm yesterday (17.05.15), the pair confirmed their impending nuptials, and also revealed that the former ...

Prince Harry has promised to return to New Zealand


Britain's Prince Harry has promised "it won't be that long" before he returns to New Zealand.
The prince has spent the last week travelling around the country and finished off his trip by giving a speech at a reception for emergency services personnel at Auckland's Government House, during which he vowed to come back to the country at some point in the near future.
He said: "I would like to end by thanking everyone who I've met over the last week for a hugely warm welcome, it really has been a lot of fun. And while it took me 30 years to make it to New Zealand for the first time, it certainly won't be that long before I'm back again."
During his trip, he has visited several schools and youth projects, as well as meeting representatives from the country's military, and politicians.
And although his speech at the reception had a sombre tone as he talked about how the nation reacted to the devastating Christchurch earthquakes in 2010 and 2011, and how more recently, volunteers had travelled to Nepal to help with earthquake relief, he still managed to make some jokes at his own expense, describing himself as a "failed explorer".
Speaking about his visit to the country, the 30-year-old bachelor said: "I've heard so many wonderful things about the Kiwis from the Queen, from my father, and more recently from my brother and sister-in-law following their time here with George last year. I can't believe it's taken me over 30 years to get here, but I'm delighted to have finally made it, without sounding like some sort of explorer ... a failed explorer!"

Britain’s Prince Charles has ‘regular’ meetings with Prime Minister


Britain's Prince Charles has "relatively regular" meetings with Prime Minister David Cameron.
The 66-year-old royal - who is first in line for the throne - has been criticised for the black spider letters he sent to government officials in 2004 and 2005, with some saying he shouldn't be meddling in politics, but David Cameron has defended him saying he has "every right" to have his say.
He said: "I've had correspondence with Prince Charles, I've had relatively regular meetings with Prince Charles, and I think the heir to the throne should have every right to write letters to government ministers or politicians."
The Conservative MP went on to say he believes the government has made the "right" decision by amending the Freedom of Information Act to prevent future royal correspondence, like the controversial black spider letters, being published.
He continued: "We've actually restored the situation so that these letters shouldn't necessarily be made public. I think that's right."
And the 48-year-old politician gave his personal views about the prince with a glowing character reference in which he said he has "huge passion" about improving Britain.
He told ITV Wales News: "I find with Prince Charles, he's a man with huge passion about public life, about improving the lot of our country and everyone that lives here, and I hope he goes on having the strong views that he does."

Queen Elizabeth returning ‘Welsh crown jewels’ to Wales


Britain's Queen Elizabeth has given her blessing for the 'Welsh crown jewels' to be returned to Wales.
The set of items which includes a coronet, a ring, a rod, a sword and a robe are currently held at St James's Palace in London, but are set to be returned to Llandovery in Carmarthenshire, where they will be the central focus of a new heritage centre.
Chief executive of Prime Cymru - the Prince's Initiative for Mature Enterprise in Wales - David Pugh, told WalesOnline: "We have had the agreement of HM the Queen that, subject to us securing Heritage Lottery Funding, they will be on a long-term loan to Llandovery and will form the central part of the museum."
The regalia was last used at Caernarfon Castle in 1969 for the investiture of Prince Charles as the Prince of Wales, and the 66-year-old royal has been one of the people behind the campaign to have the items returned to west Wales.
A Clarence House spokeswoman said: "The investiture regalia for the current Prince of Wales is owned by the Royal Collection but it's going to go on display at the new heritage centre in Llandovery which is being planned as part of the regeneration of Llandovery.
"The regalia will be there along with the Edward VIII's investiture regalia.
"This was the Prince of Wales's idea to help with the regeneration of Llandovery."

Must Read

Este Haim’s music score wish

Este Haim wants to compose music for Paul Thomas Anderson’s movies. The pair are close after the filmmaker directed...

Listen: Charli xcx releases Wuthering Heights soundtrack album

Charli xcx has unveiled her brand‑new album Wuthering Heights, to coincide with the arrival of Emerald Fennell’s hotly anticipated new feature film...

Cruz Beckham drops latest song For Your Love

Cruz Beckham has dropped his brand‑new single For Your Love, the latest step in the rising artist’s fast‑building musical journey.