Sunday, May 17, 2026

Football’s Coming Home (Again): Three Lions roars back for 30th anniversary as England chase World Cup glory

Baddiel, Skinner and the Lightning Seeds are reuniting with the nation’s favourite football anthem as Three Lions (Football’s Coming Home) celebrates its...
Home Showbiz

Showbiz

Pierce Brosnan gets strength from faith


Pierce Brosnan credits "faith" for helping him overcome tragedy.
The 61-year-old actor was left devastated when his first wife Cassandra Harris died from ovarian cancer in 1991 and his adopted daughter Charlotte succumbed to the same disease last year, and thinks his religious beliefs and upbringing have given him the strength he needed to carry on.
Asked how he gets through his dark days, he said: "I would say faith, being Irish, being Catholic, it's ingrained in my DNA."
The 'Long Way Down' actor - who is now married to Keely Shaye Smith - also admitted to being a keen artist.
He told the New York Daily News newspaper's Confidenti@l column: "I paint landscapes, figuratives. I painted all my life. In fact, I started as a commercial artist."
The former James Bond star criticised the lack of choice in movies, and think TV has grown into a much more exciting medium.
He said: "TV is such a provocative, stimulating ground right now. Movies are somewhat diminished by blockbusters, which are great, but there's not enough choice."
Pierce has previously spoken of how his faith has been "good" to him during tough times.
He said: "It always helps to have a bit of prayer in your back pocket. At the end of the day, you have to have something and for me that is God, Jesus, my Catholic upbringing, my faith... God has been good to me. My faith has been good to me in the moments of deepest suffering, doubt and fear. It is a constant, the language of prayer."

Ellie Goulding’s long-distance love woes


Ellie Goulding finds long-distance love tough.
The 'Burn' singer finds it difficult travelling up north to Manchester from London to visit her boyfriend, McBusted musician Dougie Poynter, but thinks it's definitely worth the effort.
She told Britain's GLAMOUR magazine: "Long distance isn't easy at all. You have to work at it, like anything in life. But I'm very happy. I'm happy, man! I'm chilled."
Ellie, 27, also laughed off claims she was romantically involved with Sam Karl, the US personal trainer she was pictured on a yacht "date" with earlier this year, but has learned speculation about her personal life is a "downside" of her career success.
She laughed: "He's a friend of a friend and we were actually this far away [throws arms wide apart]. It's all about angles, this is how photographers do it. It's very wrong.
"Very naughty... but I've come to accept there will always be something to say. Luckily I've got to a point where nothing can obscure the fact I'm a successful artist.
"I've done well and people still really love my music. And I'm always about the music. My friends know that and the only downside is people reading things like that and assuming I'm something that I'm not. But that happens. And it will always happen."




David Arquette proposed twice


David Arquette had to propose to Christina McLarty twice.
The 'Scream' actor popped the question to his girlfriend - with who he has two-month-old son Charlie - while having dinner with their son and his daughter Coco, 10, in Malibu last week but the entertainment reporter initially turned him down as she was embarrassed there were so many people watching her.
Christina told Aspen Peak magazine's Erin Lentz: "We were at a restaurant in Malibu..."
David interrupted: "I take her outside . . . and then I ask her, and she's like, 'No, what are you doing? There are so many people watching!'
"I had a do-over, and it worked."
Despite her initial embarrassment, Christina, 33, is delighted to be marrying the "love of her life".
She said recently: "He is the love of my life and I love him and my family so much. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!"
It was revealed last week that the 42-year-old actor had sought permission from Christina's father before popping the question.
A source said: "He flew to Las Vegas to ask Christina's dad Bud McLarty for permission [to marry Christina] a while ago, so it's been in the works."
The happy news came just days after David's ex-wife Courteney Cox, 50, announced her own engagement to Snow Patrol rocker Johnny McDaid, 37.
However, the former couple - who split in 2010 after almost 11 years of marriage - had reportedly discussed tying the knot with their new partners beforehand.
An insider said: "David was just waiting for the right time. He and Courteney both talked about taking the next step in their relationships ... They both want what's best for each other."

Liam Hemsworth: Miley is my best friend


Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus will always be "best friends".
The 'Hunger Games' actor was overheard gushing about his former fiancee - who he split from last September after a three-year on/off relationship - during dinner with friends in Portofino, Italy, last week and told pals they will always share a strong bond.
According to an insider, Liam, 24, told his group that he and the 'Wrecking Ball' star would "always be best friends" and they had "an instantaneous and powerful connection."
The source added to the New York Post newspaper's Page Six column: "Liam kept raving about how amazing she was, how much they clicked and understood everything about each other."
And the hunky star went on to tell his friends how Miley had kept many of their shared belongings when they ended their 18-month engagement.
The source said: "He also said they bought a lot of furniture but he had to leave it behind when they broke up and he got his new place, which was furnished."
Earlier this year, 21-year-old Miley - who shot to fame starring in Disney show 'Hannah Montana' admitted she feels more "free" since splitting from Liam.
She said: "When I went through a really intense breakup - you know, I was engaged - and when I was with him or when I was on Disney, the thing that gave me the most anxiety was not knowing what to do with myself when Disney wasn't there to carry me any more or if I didn't have him. And now I'm free of both of those things, and I'm fine.
"Like I lay in bed at night by myself and I'm totally OK, and that's so much stronger than the person three years ago, who would have thought they would have died if they didn't have a boyfriend."

Kendall and Kylie Jenner book to be made into film


Kendall and Kylie Jenner's novel is to be made into a film.
The 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' stars' mother and manager Kris Jenner is said to be in the final stages of securing a deal to have their sci-fi novel - which was penned by ghost-writer Maya Sloan - made into a big-screen movie and hope it will go on to be a successful franchise.
An insider told The Sun newspaper: "Kris hopes 'Rebels: City of Indra' could be the next 'Twilight' or 'Hunger Games' teen sensation."
However it's so far unknown whether Kylie, Kendall or their three half-sisters - Khloe, Kourtney or Kim - will be starring in the film adaptation of the book, although Kim has tried her hand at acting in the past, winning a Razzie award for worse supporting actress for her role in 'Temptation: Confessions of A Marriage Counsellor'.
Meanwhile, 18-year-old Kendall is said to be desperate to make the move from California to New York as she's "fallen in love" with the city and feels it would benefit her modelling career.
An insider revealed: "Kendall is serious about her career in fashion and thinks spending more time in New York will help her, she'll also be close to Kim."
However, the brunette beauty - who has appeared in Vogue and modelled for Givenchy and Chanel - recently bought a luxurious two-bedroom condo in Westwood, California

Reeva Steenkemp’s mother forgives Oscar Pistorius


Reeva Steenkemp's mother has forgvien Oscar Pistorius
June Steenkamp says she doesn't hate the paralympian - who fatally shot her daughter, 29, through a closed toilet cubicle in his home in Pretoria, South Africa in the early hours of February 14 last year - but believes she won't rest until a verdict has been reached.
She told Britain's Hello! magazine: "I don't hate Oscar. I've forgiven him. I have to, that's my religion. But I am determined to face him and reclaim my daughter.
"It's important for him to know that I'm there, that Reeva's mother who gave birth to her and loved her, is there for her.
"I feel her presence and talk to her all the time."
June added that her faith has helped her through the traumatic trial and just wants to discover the truth about what happened to her daughter.
She said: "I trust that god will prevail and justice will be done. All we want is the truth."
The 27-year-old athlete - who was recently ruled fit to stand trial following a month of psychological assessments - has denied deliberately murdering the model, insisting he acted in self-defence in the mistaken belief she was an intruder.
If found guilty of murder, Pistorius could face life in jail, or 15 years in prison if the court finds him guilty of the lesser charge of culpable homicide.

Paul McCartney helps man propose at gig


Sir Paul McCartney helped a man propose at his concert.
The 72-year-old rocker returned to the stage on Saturday night (05.07.14) after cancelling part of his 'Out There' tour in May due to a viral infection but he was more than happy to share the spotlight with 64 year old John Dann, who popped the question to his girlfriend at the gig in Albany, New York.
According to local newspaper The Democrat & Chronicle, Paul invited John onstage and allowed him to sing part of The Beatles' 1967 song 'When I'm Sixty-Four' in front of the 13,000-strong crowd. The fan then proposed to his girlfriend Claudia Rodgers, who happily accepted.
It seems the couple caught Paul's attention with their humorous signs as they were both spotted holding up pieces of card reading, "He won't marry me 'til he meets you" and "I have the ring and I'm 64".
Following the proposal, Paul quipped the couple had "booked us for the wedding" too.
The rocker's performance on Saturday marked his first in nearly two months after he was hospitalised for six nights in Tokyo, Japan, in May.

Rita Ora dating Tommy Hilfiger’s son


Rita Ora is reportedly dating Tommy Hilfiger's son.
The 'I Will Never Let You Down' hitmaker - who recently split from Scottish DJ Calvin Harris - has been getting close to rapper Ricky Hil, the 24-year-old son of the prolific American fashion designer.
Ricky is said to be spending more time in London to be with Rita, 23, and the budding couple were spotted holding hands over dinner at Nobu on Saturday night (05.07.14).
A source told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "Ricky came over to Europe to hang with Rita a bit more this summer.
"They really hit it off when they met and really like each other, so Rita invited him over to join her.
"They want to see where things might take them - they're just having a lot of fun."
While Rita appears smitten with her new beau, it seems pals of the singer are less enthusiastic as they are wary of Ricky's bad boy past - including an arrest for cannabis possession in 2010.
The insider added: "He's a bit of a bad boy and a real world away from clean-cut Calvin. He openly boasts about smoking weed all the time on Twitter and has released mix-tapes called 'Support Your Local Drug Dealer'. People are worried he might not be the best influence on Rita right now."

Jennifer Lopez ‘overwhelmed’ leading to World Cup


Jennifer Lopez was "overwhelmed" leading up to the World Cup opening ceremony.
The 44-year-old singer kicked off the international soccer tournament last month - despite reports claiming she had dropped out of the performance - but she has claimed she simply got overran with everything going on and people close to her suggested she pulled the plug on the show.
She told the Sunday Times newspaper's Style magazine: "I didn't cancel. I was just overwhelmed ... [I'm fine now, but] I've been working like crazy.
"I've got so many things to think about and pay attention to. I think people panicked when I wasn't on this plane at that time at this moment.
"So I called, and everyone was like, 'Let's just make an announcement, and I was like, 'No, I'm coming'. It was never in my mind not to be there. I know people always want answers, but I don't have answers all the time."
At the time, it was claimed by FIFA she had pulled out due to "production issues", before her spokesman insisted she would be at the show.
They said: "Jennifer has always wanted to participate in the World Cup opening ceremonies. We have been trying to work out scheduling and logistics ... Jennifer would not want to disappoint her fans or fans of football. She will be there."

Must Read

Liam Gallagher teases new collaboration with John Squire

Liam Gallagher has teased he is working on something "Biblical" with John Squire. The Oasis frontman teamed up with...

‘Sometimes I feel like I’m dying’: Slipknot’s Clown needs heart surgery

Slipknot's Clown needs to undergo heart surgery. The 56-year-old percussionist - whose real name is Shawn Crahan - often...

‘We have decided to give all our earnings from these sales away’: Kneecap to donate profits from new album Fenian to charity

Kneecap will donate the profits from their new album Fenian to charity. The West Belfast band’s second studio album,...