Monday, February 16, 2026

MUNA unveil fourth album Dancing On The Wall

MUNA have confirmed details of their highly anticipated fourth album, Dancing On The Wall, set for release on May 8.
Home Royal

Royal

Science Museum ‘honoured’ by Queen tweet


London's Science Museum is "honoured" Queen Elizabeth chose the venue to send her first ever tweet.
The 88-year-old monarch made history earlier today (24.10.14) when she sent her first ever message on social networking site Twitter during a visit to the major tourist attraction with her husband Prince Philip, where they were opening the building's new Information Age gallery.
A tweet on the Science Museum's account in response to Elizabeth's message on the official account of the British Monarch read: "@BritishMonarchy We're honoured The Queen chose to open our Information Age gallery by sending her first tweet #smInfoAge #TheQueenTweets (sic)"
Earlier in the day, the queen wrote: "It is a pleasure to open the Information Age exhibition today at the @ScienceMuseum and I hope people will enjoy visiting. Elizabeth R."
Following the historic moment, the British Monarchy account confirmed the message had been sent by the royal, writing: "The last tweet was sent personally by The Queen from her official Twitter account @BritishMonarchy #TheQueenTweets"
Shortly before the queen made history with the tweet, museum director Ian Blatchford invited her to aptly mark the opening of the establishment's Information Age gallery by sending the message.
He said: "I mentioned earlier that Queen Victoria took a great interest in the invention of the telephone, and Your Majesty has followed in this tradition of embracing new technology.
"You made the first live Christmas broadcast in 1957 and an event relished by historians took place [on March 26, 1976] when you became the first monarch to send an email, during a visit to the Royal Signals and Radar Establishment. May I now invite you to join me so that you may send your first tweet."
The message is said to have been pre-typed on a tablet computer leaving the monarch to simply press the send button.
However, the queen's tweet may not have gone down too well with her grandson Prince Harry after he recently admitted to "quite hating" Twitter for its "invasion of privacy".
Speaking about whether he would use Twitter during the recent Invictus Games, he said: "I would love to get involved and go on social media, and if it was for causes like this I really would.
"The issue for myself and my family, put quite simply, is that it's very hard for me to tweet about the Invictus Games and tweet about something that means a lot to me, whereas I at the same time really quite hate Twitter by the invasion of privacy. I think you all understand what I'm talking about."
The queen is not the only royal to have tweeted as Princess Beatrice (@yorkiebea) has had an account on the social networking account since November 2011, managing to stay under the radar for many months before the account was given the official Twitter 'blue tick' to recognise it is in fact Beatrice's page.
Her mother Sarah Ferguson is also a keen tweeter and has been on Twitter since May 2011 under the handle @SarahTheDuchess.

Queen Elizabeth tweets for first time


Britain's Queen Elizabeth tweeted for the first time today (24.10.14).
The 88-year-old monarch took to the official Twitter account of the British Monarch to write her first ever message on the social networking site while at the Science Museum in London with husband Prince Philip, where they are opening the new Information Age gallery.
She tweeted: "It is a pleasure to open the Information Age exhibition today at the @ScienceMuseum and I hope people will enjoy visiting. Elizabeth R."
Following the historic moment, the British Monarchy account revealed the message had in fact been written by the royal herself.
It wrote: "The last tweet was sent personally by The Queen from her official Twitter account @BritishMonarchy #TheQueenTweets"
And just in case nobody believed them, the account then posted a picture of the monarch writing out the tweet on what appeared to be a tablet computer and simply attached the hashtag: "#TheQueenTweets"
The queen's first tweet was retweeted 700 times just 10 minutes after she posted it and hundreds of Twitter users pleaded with her to follow them.
One wrote: "Welcome to Twitter, Your Majesty. Hope this isn't your first and last tweet. Wishing you well. Xxx (sic)
Another posted: "nice to see that Her Majesty is tech savvy.(sic)"
However, some messages were not quite as positive with one user writing: "Welcome to twitter! Abdicate.(sic)"
With the monarch now just one click away from the public, one user even attempted to gauge the monarch's thoughts on 'The X Factor', writing: "hey Liz, who are you loving on X Factor?! (sic)"

Duchess Catherine’s Action on Addiction pride


Britain's Duchess Catherine "couldn't be more proud" to be a patron of Action on Addiction.
The 32-year-old royal attended the addiction charity's Autumn Gala Evening dinner and reception at L'Anima restaurant in London last night (23.10.14), her third royal engagement is as many days after 11 weeks away from duties, and she praised the organisation in her programme notes.
She wrote: "As I am sure you are aware, the impact of addiction can be extremely damaging for individuals, families and the wider community.
"During the time I have spent with clients and staff I have been privileged to see the phenomenal work which the charity undertakes to improve the lives of those affected by addiction.
"The stories of recovery are remarkable; and Action on Addiction's role in helping people achieve this is truly inspiring.
"[Their] work is simply life changing and I could not be more proud to be their patron."
The pregnant duchess - who has been suffering from severe morning sickness while expecting her and Prince William's second child - looked stunning at the event in a knee-length black dress with sheer panels by Temperley London and was all smiles as she chatted to guests.
One of the guests at the black-tie event was Hans Rausing, who was handed two suspended sentences in August 2012 after admitting preventing the lawful burial of his wife's body following the discovery of her in their London home two months after she died from cocaine abuse.
Hans engaged in conversation with the duchess along with his new wife Julia, who admitted it was "wonderful" speaking to the royal.
She said: "It is wonderful to be here this evening and [was] wonderful to chat to her."

Queen Elizabeth ‘shocked’ by Canada shooting


Britain's Queen Elizabeth has been left "shocked and saddened" by the tragic shooting in Ottawa, Canada, on Wednesday (22.10.14).
The 88-year-old monarch has sent her condolences to Canadian soldier Nathan Crillo who was shot dead after gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau started firing at the national war memorial in the country's capital.
The killer was later shot dead himself after forcing his way into national parliament.
Following the awful events, Canada Prime Minister Stephen Harper insisted the country - which Elizabeth is head of state of - "will not be intimidated" by terrorism.
He said in a statement: "This week's events are a grim reminder that Canada is not immune to the types of terrorist attacks we have seen elsewhere around the world.
"We are also reminded that attacks on our security personnel and our institutions of governance are by their very nature attacks on our country, on our values, on our society, on us Canadians as a free and democratic people who embrace human dignity for all
"But let there be no misunderstanding. We will not be intimidated. Canada will never be intimidated."

Prince Charles pays tribute to Lynda Bellingham


Britain's Prince Charles has paid tribute to late actress Lynda Bellingham, admitting she will be "hugely missed".
The 65-year-old royal praised the late star, who died on Sunday (19.10.14) aged 66 after battling colon cancer, for being a fantastic ambassador for his charity PRIME (Prince's Initiative for Mature Enterprise) and a "marvellous actress".
Speaking to delegates at the launch of his new PRIME initiative in London yesterday (23.10.14), he said: "Before referring to the work of PRIME, I did just want to pay, if I may, a special tribute to Lynda Bellingham, who was, as many of you know, a wonderful ambassador for PRIME.
Personally I was greatly saddened to learn that she had passed away. As you know, she was not only a marvellous actress but also someone who worked tirelessly for others.
"So she really will be hugely missed."
The 'Faith in the Future' star - whose cancer later spread to her lungs and liver - was previously invited to the event, which saw the launch of a campaign to encourage employers to give jobs to some of the 1.1 million, dubbed the "missing million", who are 50 and over and want to work again, but had to politely decline due to her illness.
Following his tribute to Lynda, Charles called for employers to take on more people aged 50 and over, describing older workers as a "valuable asset".
He said: "For what it's worth, to me one key fact revealed by this research is that employing older people does not mean younger people are crowded out of the labour market.
"The number of jobs in the economy is not set. There is room to employ younger people and older people in a mix of skills and experience that creates better business.
"This research makes it clear that older workers are not a burden but a valuable asset."

Prince George saves school


Britain's Prince George saved a school with just 19 pupils in from being closed down.
Despite never setting foot inside a classroom before, the 15-month-old son of Prince William and Duchess Catherine has been praised for saving Chirton Primary in Wiltshire, west England, after 11 of its 19 students sent a letter to the little one's parents trying to persuade them to enroll George as a pupil.
Each of the 11 writers received personalised replies to their notes and while the Duke and Duchess Cambridge politely declined their offer, they praised them for their efforts which created a lot of publicity in the surrounding area leading the student numbers to be boosted from 19 to 45.
Headteacher Amy Mrs Bekker Wrench told the Wiltshire Gazette and Herald newspaper: "The story got a lot of publicity and certainly got people talking about us which is a good thing."
Following its boost in numbers, governors at the school - which was threatened with closure in 2012 - are now discussing with the local council about ways in which it can be expanded.
Amy added: "We are very lucky as we have a big school field so there would be room for a new school to be built while the old one is still in existence. It would really be a dream come true."

Pippa Middleton’s budget flight


Pippa Middleton and her parents Michael and Carole boarded a budget airline to fly to London on Tuesday (21.10.14).
The multi-millionaires - whose mail order company Party Pieces is estimated to be worth £30 million, according to experts - were spotted getting on an easyJet flight from Inverness in Scotland to London Gatwick, for which tickets cost as little as £54, but they did splash out an extra £12 each for priority boarding.
A passenger on the plane is quoted by MailOnline as saying: "We saw them wandering around the terminal.
"Inverness is a tiny airport, and there was only one plane on the runway, otherwise I might have thought they were flying in a private jet. They're rich enough, I suppose.
"I think they had paid to select their seats, which meant they got to board the plane first, and were all sat in a row when I finally made it on the plane.
"They're practically royalty, but it's nice to know that they're not too posh to fly with normal people."
While the Middleton family were enjoying the easyJet hospitality on their 80-minute flight, their daughter Duchess Catherine - known as Kate Middleton prior to her marriage to Prince William - was chatting to Singapore President Tony Tan and his wife Mary.
It's not the first time the Middletons have flown easyJet as Carole, Michael and Pippa all opted to fly with the airline company, along with Prince Harry, when they travelled to Bari in Italy in September.

Duchess Catherine treated to Rory Bremner performance


Britain's Duchess Catherine will be treated to an evening of entertainment by Rory Bremner tonight (23.10.14).
The 32-year-old royal, who has been suffering from severe morning sickness throughout her second pregnancy, will watch the comedian and impersonator perform at Action on Addiction's Autumn Gala Evening dinner at L'Anima restaurant in London, her third royal engagement is as many days.
The duchess - who is patron of the addiction charity - will join other guests at the black-tie dinner to thank supporters of the organisation who have helped fund several of the charity's services.
Nick Barton, chief executive of Action on Addiction, said: "The Duchess of Cambridge has shown unwavering support of the Charity and we are delighted that our Patron is able to attend the Autumn Gala Evening.
"We are enormously grateful that Her Royal Highness has helped us to keep addiction very much in the spotlight by her involvement to help reduce the stigma surrounding the condition.
"The charity's mission is to free people from addiction and we hope this evening will help us to make further progress in achieving that aim."
Following the duchess' departure, Rory will compere a live auction at the end of the night of which funds raised will go towards the work Action on Addiction does to help both individuals and families affected by alcohol and/or drug addiction.
Catherine is due to give birth to her and Prince William's second child - a brother or sister for their 15-month-old son Prince George - in April 2015.

Prince George named ideal child

Britain's Prince George has been chosen as the nation's ideal child. The 15-month-old son of Prince William and Duchess Catherine has received the highest vote in a new poll which saw Britons select their ultimate celebrity family, with David Beckham...

Must Read

Noel Gallagher to ‘have it out’ on BRITs red carpet amid songwriter prize criticism

Noel Gallagher has vowed to "have it out on the red carpet" with anyone who disagrees with him receiving the Songwriter of...

Robbie Williams has ‘apologised a million times’ to Gary Barlow for his behaviour

Robbie Williams has admitted he still feels guilty about the way he treated Gary Barlow during their most turbulent years, telling fans...

Matty Healy confirms The 1975 are back in the studio

The 1975 are hard at work in the studio. Frontman Matty Healy has admitted he's not getting much shut-eye at...