Tuesday, February 17, 2026

‘I’m just scared of them!’ Lewis Capaldi reveals unusual phobia

Lewis Capaldi has a phobia of sea life. The 29-year-old has been battling his unusual and irrational fear of...
Home Royal

Royal

Prince Charles: people have lost connection to the land


Britain's Prince Charles says people have "lost any real connection with the land".
The 65-year-old royal wrote a special foreword for Country Life magazine to mark his 66th birthday - which takes place on Friday, November 14 - warning the public that they need to re-engage with their environment.
He wrote: "One of the things that strikes me most forcibly is the extent to which the majority of the population has lost any real connection with the land.
"Unlike in most parts of the continent of Europe, many people in the UK are now four or more generations removed from anyone who actually worked on the land - and it frequently shows in their attitudes.
"They have only a vague understanding of what farming is or does; and - as outsiders looking in - they are increasingly suspicious of it. At the same time, they treasure the countryside."
It is not the first time His Royal Highness has written for Country Life magazine, as he guest-edited the publication to mark his 65th birthday last year.
Prince Charles has long since been an advocate for sustainable environment change. In 2010 he established The Prince's Countryside Fund, which has provided over £4 million to help those who care for the countryside.

Prince Harry jokes about fainting soldiers


Britain's Prince Harry joked with wounded soldiers about his trip to Afghanistan.
The 30-year-old royal laughed with servicemen and women at the 'Wounded: The Legacy of War' exhibition in Somerset House in London yesterday (11.11.14) as he recalled an incident during his recent trip to Kandahar, Afghanistan where he spent Remembrance Sunday (09.11.14).
Prince Harry joked: "The visit [to Afghanistan] was great.
"Fourteen people collapsed though during the ceremony and it was only 12 degrees heat.
"But they were from the RAF so that's acceptable."
His Royal Highness admired various portraits - taken by Bryan Adams - which showed soldiers who have been injured while on military duty in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Bryan told the Daily Express newspaper: "Rehabilitation doesn't end at the hospital. It's an ongoing process and I'm delighted that for some of the guys and girls in these portraits, actually sitting for them helped re-evaluate how they saw themselves."
One of the stars of the exhibition was Mark Ormrod, 31, - who lost both his legs and his right arm after stepping on an improvised explosive device on Christmas Eve in 2007 - revealed that he was annoyed by his decision to wear old pants for the portrait.
He joked: "I was the first one to have my picture taken and I think Bryan was worried about offending me when he asked me to take my shorts off.
"But as a former marine I'm not scared of getting naked in public. I was a bit gutted though, I was wearing rubbish pants.
"They were just from a M&S box set and I just wish I'd worn my Calvin Kleins."

Prince Charles praised by Ukip MEP


Britain's Prince Charles has been congratulated by a member of Ukip for his stance on religion.
Ukip MEP Amjad Bashir has praised His Royal Highness for encouraging religious tolerance.
The 65-year-old royal has previously spoken about the "indescribable tragedy" for Christians who are under threat in the Middle East.
In a video that was played at the House of Lords earlier this month, Prince Charles said: "The horrendous and heart-breaking events in Iraq and Syria have brought the subject of religious freedom and persecution to the forefront of the world's news.
"It is an indescribable tragedy that Christianity is now under such threat in the Middle East - an area where Christians have lived for 2,000 years, and across which Islam spread in 700 AD, with people of different faiths living together peaceably for centuries.
"It seems to me that our future as a free society - both here in Britain and throughout the world - depends on recognising the crucial role played by people of faith."
In response to Prince Charles, Ukip's Communities spokesman wrote on his official website: "As a British Muslim I wholeheartedly support what he [Prince Charles] has said about the need for tolerance and that faith leaders should try to ensure that people within their own tradition respect people from other faith traditions.
"I admire Prince Charles and I particularly endorse his desire, once he becomes King and Supreme Governor of the Church of England, to be seen not as Defender of The Faith but as Defender of Faith."

McBusted will perform in front of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

McBusted will perform in front of Britain's Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. The newly formed supergroup - which consists of Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones, Dougie Poynter, Harry Judd, James Bourne and Matt Willis - will sing in front of a royal audience at ...

Zoo bans photos to protect Prince George


A petting zoo has banned visitors from taking photographs to protect Britain's Prince George.
The 16-month-old son of Prince William and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge is said to be a regular visitor of the animals at Bucklebury Farm, located in Reading, Berkshire.
According to The Sun newspaper, the owners of the farm have put signs around their petting zoo banning visitors from taking photographs in an attempt to protect the young royal's privacy.
The zoo is reportedly a favourite of Prince George when he's staying with his maternal grandparents - Carole and Michael Middleton - who live in Bucklebury Manor.
One villager told the newspaper: "Every photo we take there, even of our own children, could unwittingly capture other people and their kids.
"I took my daughter there the other day and saw Kate's mother with George and his nanny. I thought about taking a photo and decided not to.
"But protection officers still came over to us and challenged us. They were quite difficult about it."
Speaking to the MailOnline, the owner of the Bucklebury estate, Elizabeth Hartley Russell explained: "It's not been done to protect any individual - it's been done to protect the rights of children.
"We're a family farm park. We're not here for people to take pictures of other people and put them on Twitter and Facebook.
"We've had children of actors, TV presenters and politicians. All sorts of people have come to visit the farm over a period, as they have to other family attractions. We're not alone in this.
"It's been a long-standing policy that we've had, and it's something we feel very strongly about."

Morris Minor belonging to Countess of Wessex on sale for £7000


An old car formerly owned by Britain's Countess of Wessex is up for auction for £7,000.
A old Morris Minor which previously belonged to Sophie, the Countess of Wessex, has been put up for auction at Bonham's and is expected to fetch £7,000.
The maroon coloured car was originally bought for the blonde beauty in 1988 by her boyfriend at the time.
But by then, the now 49-year-old Countess - who married Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex in 1999 - was the third owner of the vehicle and in 1992 she sold the car for £200 as scrap.
According to Bonhams listing, a car enthusiast saved the would-be junk and spent an incredible £1,000 fixing the Morris Minor and restored it to "show standard" and before the current owner decided to put the vintage vehicle up for auction it was destined to go on show at a motoring museum.
Morris Minors first came into production in 1948 and continued until 1971 after more than 1.3 million of the little cars where in circulation.
The Morris Minor will go on sale on November 12 at Bonhams in Harrogate, North Yorkshire.

Duchess of York tweets about her ‘stupid recklessness’


Britain's Duchess of York has sent a series of cryptic tweets regarding her past "recklessness".
The 55-year-old posted the messages on the social media site yesterday (10.11.14) where she has almost 80,000 followers.
Tweeting under the username @SarahTheDuchess, the former royal - who was once married Prince Andrew - wrote: "Sometimes we look back at our life, dropping our jaw at our stupid recklessness. (sic)
"Forgiveness comes when we have the chance to see it as a learning curve and move forward with knowledge, also forgiving ourselves. (sic)"
According to the Mail Online, friends of the Duchess - who is mother to 26-year-old Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, 24, - think she is in a better place now after being accepted back into the royal family.
A source said: "She is in a good place at the moment. She has clearly got her life back together after the events of recent years."
Following her wedding to Prince Andrew in 1986 Sarah was caught having her toes sucked by her over John Bryan. The royal couple got divorced in 1996, leaving the Duchess with a settlement of just £300,000.
However, Britain's Queen Elizabeth extended an olive branch earlier this year, when she allowed her former daughter-in-law to throw a £50,000 party for her charity, Children In Crisis, at Windsor Castle.

Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge set for New York trip


Britain's Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge are set to make a trip to New York to unveil a new charity.
The royal couple will reportedly embark on a three-day trip to the United States of America next month where they will meet with conservationists and unveil a environmental charity, United for Wildlife.
According to the Mail on Sunday newspaper, Prince William, 30, and his wife will return to America, three years after their post-wedding trip to Los Angeles in 2011.
It is also thought that the couple will bring their 16-month-old son Prince George with them on their American voyage.
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge - who is roughly 15 weeks pregnant with her second child - previously had to cancel a scheduled royal appearance in Malta in September after suffering from acute morning sickness.
A source told the newspaper that the 30-year-old brunette beauty is "very excited" about the impending trip because she has wanted to see New York since she was a little girl.
The insider said: "Kate has never been to New York and she is really looking forward to it now that she is over her illness."
Another source added: "Kate was upset she had to cancel her tour of Malta, but now she is over her morning sickness and really excited about America."

Prince Harry attends Wounded: The Legacy of War


Britain's Prince Harry will attend the 'Wounded: The Legacy of War' exhibition today (11.11.14).
The 30-year-old royal will visit Somerset House in London today to view an exhibition of photographs taken by Bryan Adams which depicts soldiers who have been injured while on military duty in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Over the weekend, His Royal Highness visited Kandahar, Afghanistan as part of Remembrance Sunday commemorations.
On Sunday (09.11.14) Prince Harry - who fought in Afghanistan from 2007 to 2008 and 2012 to 2013 - attended a ceremony with former troops where laid down a wreath of poppies with a heartfelt handwritten note.
It read: "There is no greater love then to lay down one's life for one's friends. They will never be forgotten. Harry."
Prince Harry has always been a strong advocate for supporting soldiers.
In 2013, the royal took part in a fundraising event in aid of Walking With The Wounded, which involved hiking to the most southern point of the world.
Prince Harry was joined on the expedition by 12 injured servicemen and women, as well as 'The Wire' actor Dominic West.
'Wounded: The Legacy of War' is available for public viewing from November 12 to January 25 at Somerset House.

Must Read

Robbie Williams joined on stage by viral superfan from Take That documentary in Wolverhampton

A Robbie Williams superfan who went viral after appearing in Netflix’s recent Take That documentary reunited with the singer on stage in...

Chappell Roan cuts ties with talent agency after CEO’s past emails with Ghislaine Maxwell resurface

Chappell Roan has cut ties with her talent agency after its CEO, Casey Wasserman, faced renewed scrutiny over email correspondence he exchanged...

Paul Thomas Anderson and Jonny Greenwood demand removal of Phantom Thread score from Melania Trump doc

Paul Thomas Anderson and Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood have formally requested that music from their acclaimed film Phantom Thread be removed from the...