Friday, March 5, 2021

Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan will take part in a 90-minute interivew with Oprah Winfrey

Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan are set to take part in a special 90-minute interview with Oprah Winfrey. The...
Home Royal

Royal

Queen Elizabeth and Duchess Catherine to host reception


Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Duchess Catherine will host a star-studded reception at Buckingham Palace later this month.
The 87-year-old royal is teaming up with the Duchess of Cambridge, 32, to welcome a host of A-Listers including Dame Helen Mirren, Sir David Attenborough, Cate Blanchett, David Tennant and Benedict Cumberbatch in honour of The Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA) on February 17.
Hello! magazine report they will be joined by a number of other royals including Elizabeth's husband Prince Philip - known as the Duke of Edinburgh - at the monarch's London residence.
This event will come only a day after Prince William will attend the BAFTA Awards 2014 which will be held at London's Royal Opera House.
The Duke of Cambridge - who is President of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts - is due to present Mirren with the Fellowship Award in honour of her contribution to the film industry at the ceremony.
Amanda Berry OBE, chief executive of BAFTA, is "delighted" to have the 31-year-old royal - whose grandfather was the organisation's first president in 1959 - attend the event.
She previously said: "We are delighted to welcome our President back to the EE British Academy Film Awards. The Duke loves film and he is incredibly supportive of the work BAFTA does."

Mike Batt to receive royal LVO


Mike Batt will be attending the Investiture at Buckingham Palace on Friday (07.02.14).
The songwriter, musician and producer is due to receive the LVO (Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian), a personal gift from Britain's Queen Elizabeth which recognises distinguished service to the Royal Household.
The star is best known for creating novelty act The Wombles' music, writing pop song 'Bright Eyes', and discovering Katie Melua.
Mike was appointed LVO in the Queen's Birthday Honours List in June 2013, and will be accompanied tomorrow by his wife, actress Julianne White, and son, singer-songwriter Luke Batt.
He said at the time: "I was completely shocked - in a great way - to be told of this honour. It's particularly nice that the appointment to the Royal Victorian Order is in the direct gift of The Queen. I have obviously done something that has been recognised, but I can't think exactly what!
"All I can say is wherever I have been in contact with the Royal Household or been asked to compose or perform pieces for Royal Occasions it has always been an honour in itself. To receive an 'actual' proper honour is an unexpected bonus and gives me a lovely warm feeling!"
The Order was founded in April 1896 by Queen Victoria as a way of rewarding personal service to her, without having to go through ministerial recommendation.

Man faces six months in jail for defacing Queen’s portrait


A Fathers4Justice campaigner who defaced a portrait of Queen Elizabeth has been sentenced to six months' imprisonment.
Tim Haries, 42, sprayed the word 'help' with purple paint - which is the colour adopted by the campaign group - on an image of the monarch worth £160,000, while it hung in Westminster Abbey on June 13.
He denied the charge of causing criminal damage of more than £5,000 but last month he was granted conditional bail and ordered to return to Southwark Crown Court for sentencing on February 5.
Recorder of Westminster Judge Alistair McCreath told him: "This was a deliberate and planned causing of damage to a valuable item of property on public display, carried out as a publicity exercise."
The father-of-two, who decided to represent himself, said the act was a protest against the "social catastrophe" of fathers not being allowed access to their children.
Haries previously explained: "The pain of losing my children has been like a living bereavement for me.
"I believe that contact denial is a hate crime and an abuse of children's fundamental rights."
In a statement he released through Fathers4Justice he had insisted "children's lives are worth more than any painting".
He explained: "Whilst I disagree with the verdict reached by the jury, I take full responsibility for my actions.
"I would not hesitate to petition the Queen again by peaceful protest on behalf of my children and the millions of children separated from their fathers by the British Government.
"Every Family Court judge who separates fathers from their children does so with the authority of the Queen."
The 11ft by 9ft oil painting by artist Ralph Heimans was bought by Westminster Abbey for £160,000 and cost £7,300 to repair.

Princess Anne: Olympics needs to focus on athletes again


Britain's Princess Anne says the "balance" at the Olympic Games has moved from athletes to excess.
The 63-year-old royal - who competed in the 1976 Montreal Olympics - made her feelings known during a debate among International Olympic Committee (IOC) members on Wednesday (05.02.14) where they were discussing the future of the renown sporting event.
Anne said: "I'm afraid the subject of opening ceremonies is one which I did tend to bang on about at LOCOG.
"I really do believe it is about the athletes - the opening ceremony. Of course, I am old enough that I remember that the opening ceremony I went to was only the athletes.
"So, it has changed quite dramatically over those years but I think the balance of import to me has gone too far the other way.
"There must be a way of re-balancing the importance of the athletes showing they are committing themselves to the Olympic ideal but also making it a celebration. But at the moment it seems to be the celebration and the add-on is the athletes committing the Olympic ideals."
Anne - whose official title is Princess Royal - is the eldest daughter of Queen Elizabeth II, who during the London Olympics Opening Ceremony in 2012 appeared to jump out of a chopper alongside Daniel Craig in the spoof sequence before they arrived outside the stadium in time for her big entrance.
In response to her comments, IOC President Thomas Bach quipped: "I think you can inform the royal family there will be no more parachuting at the Olympic Opening Ceremony."

Princess Eugenie wows at amfAR gala


Britain's Princess Eugenie attended the amfAR gala on Wednesday night (05.02.14).
The royal daughter of Prince Andrew and his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson stepped out in New York's Cipriani Wall Street for the event thrown in support of The Foundation Of AIDS Research, which aims to end the global AIDS epidemic through innovative research.
The brunette beauty opted for a green silk dress which clinched in at the waist which she paired with a clutch, tights and black heels.
Other attendees included Joely Richardson, Poppy Delevingne and Vanessa Redgrave.
Eugenie moved to New York last year after she secured a job at auction house, Paddle 8 - which is backed by Damien Hirst and specialises in contemporary artists including Jeff Koons and Banksy - and is on a £25,000-a-year salary.
The princess is said to be enjoying her new life in the big apple but is finding it difficult being away from her boyfriend of three years, Jack Brooksbank.
A source previously revealed: "Eugenie is loving New York. The hardest thing has been leaving Jack behind, but he told her she had to take the job."

Prince Charles visits Tottenham


Britain's Prince Charles visited Tottenham, north London on Wednesday (05.02.14).
This trip marked the 65-year-old royal's fourth visit to the area in the Borough of Haringey since the riots in August 2011, and the local community "hugely appreciate" Charles efforts and were delighted to see him.
Tottenham MP David Lammy told the tottenhamjournal.co.uk: "He has now been back to Tottenham four times in two-and-a-half years, which is unprecedented. There is no other public figure, not even the Prime Minister, who has visited Tottenham as much. His charities are continuing to work in the community and he is coming back to get an update.
"He is a familiar face now in Tottenham. It is hugely welcome for us and it is hugely appreciated. It sends an important message that Tottenham is open for business."
Charles met members of Haringey Youth Council, viewed the nearly-rebuilt Carpetright building which was set alight during the riots before going to Tottenham Green.
A number of the Prince of Wales' charities are helping with the borough's regeneration, including an enterprise programme, run by the Prince's Trust which helps ambitious young people launch their own businesses.

Lorraine Kelly worried she’d ‘squash’ Queen Elizabeth


Lorraine Kelly was terrified she would "squash" Britain's Queen Elizabeth when she received her OBE.
The 'Daybreak' host received the honour in 2012 for services to charity and the armed forces and the only clear memory she has of the day she picked up her medal was worrying she would tumble out of her high heels and cause a disaster.
She said: "I have no idea what it was like or what was going through my mind because I was crying the entire time. I was sobbing my heart out!
"But I do remember being nervous because I was wearing these high heels and the queen is dead wee [small]. I thought I was going to accidentally topple over on top of her.
"I was convinced I was going to squash the queen! Can you imagine if that had happened? It would have been the most embarrassing thing ever."
The Scottish star's family were "bursting" when she received the honour because they were so proud of her, though they refused to admit it because it went against their nationalist beliefs.
She added to Britain's OK! magazine "They were bursting with pride but, because they're Scottish, they wouldn't show it - that would go against the grain."

Duchess Catherine’s Mustique villa had butler and chef


Duchess Catherine's luxury villa in Mustique came with a butler, chef and housekeeper.
The 32-year-old beauty - who was known as Kate Middleton before she married Prince William - and sixth-month-old Prince George joined the Middleton family on the Caribbean island to celebrate her mother Carole's 59th birthday which falls on January 31.
According to E! News, they stayed in a luxury villa which included a four-bedroom house with extensive staff, a gardener, two pools and the home also boasted an outdoor lounge area with shades.
The Middletons will no doubt have been spoiling the newest member of the family while they enjoyed their stay at the home which rents for approximately $13,000 a week.
While Catherine and George "enjoyed" their break they have since returned home to be reunited with William, who stayed in the UK where he is currently doing a 10-week agriculture course at Cambridge University.
A source previously said: "They enjoyed their break immensely but of course they missed having William with them.
"He will be very glad to have them home, a week away from your baby is a long time and of course he will have missed little George."

Prince William and Charles to tackle wildlife trade


Britain's Prince Charles and Prince William are planning on tackling the illegal wildlife trade.
The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge will team up for a series of events which take place throughout February as part of a week-long awareness campaign in London.
A joint video message will be released on February 9 where they will discuss their concerns in a bid to help protect animals.
Following this, on February 12 the younger royal will make an appearance at the United for Wildlife Symposium at the Zoological Society before attending a reception at the National History Museum.
William and Charles will attend the London Conference on the Illegal Wildlife Trade on February 13 which will be hosted at Lancaster House in the West End.
The pair have recently been busy with other commitments.
William is currently studying a 10-week agriculture course at Cambridge University which is designed to prepare him for the day he inherits the vast Duchy of Cornwall estate.
Meanwhile, Charles visited the ravaged county of Somerset, South West England yesterday (04.02.14) where he pledged his financial support through the Prince's Countryside Fund charity, donating £50,000 to aid flood victims.

Must Read

Mike Tindall: Royal life has its positives and negatives

Mike Tindall thinks royal life has its positives and negatives. The 42-year-old rugby player - who is married to...

Duchess Catherine urges young people to ‘express’ themselves: ‘Find things that make you feel good’

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, has urged young people to find ways to “express” themselves for Children’s Mental Health Week.

Prince Harry’s solo UK trip?

Duchess Meghan is not expected to accompany Prince Harry to the UK this summer. The couple quit as senior...