Thursday, February 19, 2026

Dee Snider insists he’s ‘not dying’ after quitting Twisted Sister

Dee Snider has insisted he's "not dying" after resigning from Twisted Sister due to health issues. The 70-year-old singer...
Home Royal

Royal

Prince William meets Paddington


Britain's Prince William met Paddington Bear in Shanghai.
The 32-year-old royal came face-to-face with the lovable character at the Chinese premiere of 'Paddington' yesterday (03.03.15) and was happy to shake hands with the bear.
And William even joked his 20-month-old son Prince George - who has remained in the UK with his mother, Duchess Catherine - would "envy" him as he is such a big fan of author Michael Bond's creation.
William's duties on his visit to China has seen him officially launch the UK-China Year of Cultural Exchange and he has urged citizens to apply for a new BAFTA scholarship, which will begin next year and enable talented Chinese and British nationals in financial need to study film, television or games as an international student in the UK or China.
William - who is president of BAFTA - said: "We are incredibly proud of our creative industries. They are one of our biggest success stories and a tremendous driver of economic growth.
"The film, television and games industries in the United Kingdom and China have much to learn from one another, and there is no one better placed to help facilitate that than BAFTA."

Queen Elizabeth praises Mexican ties


Britain's Queen Elizabeth thinks the UK and Mexico are "natural partners".
The 88-year-old monarch hosted a state dinner in honour of visiting Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto last night (03.03.15) and in an address at the start of the feast, she spoke to guests, including her husband Prince Philip, children Princes Charles and Andrew and Princess Anne and daughter-in-law Duchess Camilla, of the "long and enduring friendship" between the countries.
Describing the nations as "natural partners on many pressing issues in today's international agenda", she added: "We remain proud to have been the first European country to recognise Mexican Independence where ties of family, friendship, commerce and international cooperation link us in so many ways."
Meanwhile, the Mexican leader - who was accompanied by his wife Angelica Rivera - paid tribute to the queen and praised her "devotion, wisdom and dignity".
Speaking in Spanish, he said: "During more than six decades of accelerated global transformation, you have leaded this emblematic constitutional monarchy with admirable devotion, temperance, wisdom and dignity.
"At the commencement of your reign, your youthfulness was a symbol of renovation and hope; it represented a new beginning for your country, after the arduous years of reconstruction that followed the Second World War II."As head of state, you have presented to the world the positive image and influence of the United Kingdom.
"Under your reign, your country has been a major cultural reference; advocate of essential values such as freedom, democracy and human rights.
"You, Your Majesty, have been a source of identity and unity to your people; you have been a key figure to reaffirm your nation as a global player."

Rebecca Ferguson edited for Prince William


Rebecca Ferguson's performance for Britain's Prince William was censored.
The former 'X Factor' star performed at a gala dinner in Shanghai for the prince and other guests as part of the Great Festival of Creativity yesterday (03.03.15) but her songs were screened by Chinese authorities beforehand.
A scrutinising committee banned songs containing mild sexual references or religious connotations as they could be deemed offensive to local sensitivities.
Rebecca's spokesperson told the Daily Mail newspaper: "After our hosts had been through all Rebecca's song lyrics, we were asked to make sure she did not perform 'I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm', 'Lover Man', or 'God Bless The Child'.
"They told us they loved 'Blue Moon' and 'Get Happy', and so she was happy to include those songs."
Despite the editing to her setlist, the 28-year-old mother-of-three enjoyed performing for the prince and admits she was overwhelmed with emotion when she met him afterwards.
She tweeted: "Just performed for his royal highness and I got a little emotional I am not to proud to say I am extremely lucky and blessed come along way
"From where I was god has been kind xxx
"Had to leave my kids at home still I hope they will be proud of their mummy love you the world
"He has all the charm and grace and warmth as Diana what a lovely person I am honoured lovely memory for the grandkids (sic)"

Monaco twins’ baptism date announced


Monaco's Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques will be baptised on May 10.
The infant twins of Prince Albert and Princess Charlene will be welcomed into the Christian faith when they are exactly five months old, the principality's royal palace have confirmed.
The service will take place in the Cathedral of Monaco and following the ceremony, wellwishers will be able to line the streets to catch a glimpse of the family as they way back to the palace.
And the baptism will also be televised on Monaco Info.
Two months after the service, the twins will participate in another major event.
The mayor of Monaco will present the babies with gifts on behalf of the Monegasque citizens on July 11, the day before their father will mark 10 years since he ascended the throne.
Jacques and Gabriella were officially presented to the people of Monaco on January 7, almost a month after they were born on December 10.
Shortly after giving birth, 36-year-old Charlene said she was loving motherhood.
She explained: "They are growing every day, gaining weight.
"At first, I was happy to hear their first cries. I was obviously a bit overwhelmed with emotion. Every second with them is magical. I look forward to spending more time in their presence."
"Watching them grow is wonderful. It changes lives forever."

Prince William overawed in Beijing


Britain's Prince William was "overawed" by Beijing's Forbidden City.
The 32-year-old prince was stunned by the scale of the imperial palace - which was built in the early 1400s and was home to 24 emperors - and hailed it as "phenomenal".
Discussing the Forbidden City, which is now a museum containing 1.8 million items across 980 buildings, including 90 palaces and courtyards, with China's deputy president Li Yuanchao, he said: "I have been for a walk around the Forbidden City.
"I have to say I was overawed by the size, the scale and the sheer detail of much of the architecture there, it was phenomenal."
Earlier in the day, William - whose pregnant wife Duchess Catherine has remained in the UK with their 21-month-old son Prince George - took part in a cultural collaboration between Britain and China by painting the eyes of a model of Shaun the Sheep, the popular Aardman Animations character who is the mascot for the Year of Cultural Exchange.
Asked to pose with the character, the prince joked: "You know I can't do two things at once."
Inspecting his efforts, he added: "It's not particularly stylish but it will pass."
William is due to visit Shanghai today (03.03.15), and then he will travel to Yunnan province.

Queen Elizabeth on new coin


A new coinage portrait of Britain's Queen Elizabeth has been unveiled.
The updated image of the 88-year-old monarch - only the fifth new monetary picture in her 63-year reign - shows her in side profile wearing a crown and drop earrings and will appear in circulation later this year.
Engraver Jody Clark designed the image, which was selected in a competition organised by the Royal Mint Advisory Committee, a consultative panel to HM Treasury.
He said: "Winning the competition has been an overwhelming experience - I hope she likes it.
I wanted to make her look less stern to give her a slightly warmer expression. I hope she thinks it is a fitting and accurate representation."
Adam Lawrence, chief executive of the Royal Mint, believes the change of portrait makes 2015 a "vintage year" for UK coins.
He added: "Capturing a portrait on the surface of a coin demands the utmost skill, and is one of the most challenging disciplines of the coin designer's art."
The winning art work - the first to be done entirely digitally based on officially-approved photographs - was recommended to the Chancellor but the queen had final approval.
Previous coinage portraits of the monarch were unveiled in 1953, 1968, 1985 and 1998.

Prince Philip hands over new Standard


Britain's Prince Philip presented an RAF Northolt squadron with a new Standard yesterday (02.03.15).
The Duke of Edinburgh - who is Honorary Air Commodore of the military base - inspected a parade of around 60 personnel, who marched off the old Standard before 32 (The Royal) Squadron were given a pale blue and gold flag.
The 93-year-old royal - who is married to Queen Elizabeth - was then given the royal salute and received three cheers.
Group Captain Andy Bacon ADC, Station Commander of RAF Northolt, said: "It is fitting that 32 (The Royal) Squadron receives its new Standard in March 2015, the month that RAF Northolt celebrates 100 years as an active military airfield.
"Both the Squadron and the station have gone from strength to strength and continue to give significant support to military operations and UK security across a particularly broad front.
"We are honoured that HRH the Duke of Edinburgh, as our Honorary Air Commodore, was able to present 32 (The Royal) Squadron with its new Standard as we mark this momentous occasion and RAF Northolt's centenary."
Squadron Standards are replaced around every 25 years depending on wear and tear and carry the battle honours of the troupe and represent their traditions and ethos.
The 32 (The Royal) Squadron operates in VIP transport and operational roles across the globe.

Duchess Catherine revisits hotel


Britain's Duchess Catherine revisited the hotel where she spent her last night as a single woman yesterday (02.03.15).
The pregnant royal - who already has 21-month-old son Prince George with husband Prince William - attended the five-star Goring Hotel in London alone as she took part in their 150th birthday celebrations.
Her visit to the hotel, where she stayed with parents Carole and Michael Middleton and siblings Pippa and James before her wedding in April 2011, was not an official engagement, with Kensington Palace confirming she was attending in a private capacity after receiving a personal invite from the establishment, which recently reopened after undergoing a "designer renovation".
The building make-over marked the first time the hotel - which is situated opposite Buckingham Palace - has ever closed, even staying open during both world wars.
Catherine, 33, was without her husband Prince William on the trip as he is currently in the middle of a six-day tour of China and Japan.
She did not accompany him on the tour as she is due to give birth to their second child next month.

Prince Charles wants to reign in Windsor


Britain's Prince Charles won't live in Buckingham Palace when he is king.
The 66-year-old heir-to-the-throne reportedly wants to reign from Windsor Castle and would allow the London residence to be used by the public instead.
A source told the Daily Express newspaper: "One of the ideas that Charles has discussed is for the Royal Family to leave Buckingham Palace entirely, turning it into a kind of grand official centre for events, an art gallery and public use."
The move would ease concern over repairs of the building, with Queen Elizabeth's treasurer, Sir Alan Reid, reporting last year that it needed £50 million investing to bring the palace up to standard, as it has cracks in the roof, crumbling walls and an unsuitable heating system.
And Margaret Hodge, chairman of the Public Accounts Committee, believes it should be open more to the public to help offset its expense.
She said: "It's only open 78 days a year, they only have about half a million visitors, compare that to the Tower of London - they have over two million."
The queen and her husband, Prince Philip, previously explored the idea of leaving the palace in favour of Clarence House early in her reign.
However, the proposals were vetoed by then-Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

Must Read

Rhys Ifans sings on previously unheard Super Furry Animals track

Super Furry Animals have released a previously unheard track featuring Rhys Ifans. The House of the Dragon star had...

Gene Simmons slams idea of hip hop in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Gene Simmons has insisted "hip-hop does not belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame". The KISS icon...

Niall Horan is in the studio putting finishing touches on fourth album

Niall Horan is hoping to release music from his fourth album "some time this year". The former One Direction...