Thursday, February 19, 2026

Dee Snider insists he’s ‘not dying’ after quitting Twisted Sister

Dee Snider has insisted he's "not dying" after resigning from Twisted Sister due to health issues. The 70-year-old singer...
Home Royal

Royal

Laura Carmichael enjoyed Duchess Catherine visit


Laura Carmichael says meeting Britain's Duchess Catherine was "very exciting".
The 28-year-old actress was delighted to meet the 33-year-old royal as she toured the 'Downton Abbey' set yesterday (12.03.15) and says it was a special day for everyone working on the popular drama series.
She said: "It was very exciting for everyone, the cast and the crew. It was a very special day for Downton. 'It was a very surreal and exciting experience to be at work and be visited by a member of the royal family.
"She's watched the show and really loves it. Julian Fellowes ['Downton' creator] thanked her in his speech [before she left] for mentioning the show while she was in America and that she watched it and loved it. She helped put us on the map."
While Catherine - who is expecting her second child with husband Prince William - is a big fan of the show, she refused to reveal the identity of her favourite character.
Laura added: "Brendan [Coyle] and Hugh [Bonneville] were fighting over who's her favourite character but she wouldn't reveal [who it is]. She watched some [of the new scenes] but she didn't ask me any secrets or for any spoilers."
The duchess enjoyed the visit to Ealing Studios so much, she stayed 30 minutes longer than scheduled, and cast member Lesley Nichol, who plays cook Mrs Patmore, hoped she was going home to rest afterwards.
Lesley told MailOnline: "I think the duchess really enjoyed herself. We knew before she came that she was a fan of the show and she clearly knew a lot about what we did.
"I got the impression that she thoroughly enjoyed herself, but I really hope she has just gone home for a cup of tea and put her feet up. It was a long time for her to be walking around on the set with that bump.
"I would have offered the duchess a cup of tea myself but I couldn't have guaranteed what was in it."
As well as receiving a sneak-peek of a forthcoming scene filmed in the servants quarters, Catherine toured the prop store, construction workshop, hair and make-up department and bedroom sets, and was presented with a chocolate cake topped with the 'Downton Abbey' logo in the kitchen.

Princess Anne to visit Philippines next week


Britain's Princess Anne will visit the Philippines next week.
The visit will be the Princess Royal's second trip to the country having previously travelled there in March 1999, and it is hoped her stay in the country will help to strengthen relations between the nations.
During her visit, the 64-year-old royal will meet with the President of the Republic of the Philippines Mr Benigro S. Aquino III and Vice President Mr Jejomar C. Binay, as well as attending a round-table discussion for future entrepreneurs.
While in the south-east Asian country, Anne - who is married to retired naval officer Timothy Laurence - will attend a discussion held by the British Council on the topic of education and visit Tulay sa Pag-Unlad Incorporated, a micro-finance trust.
The mother of Zara, 33, and Peter, 37, is renowned for her charity work and will continue to support Save the Children in a professional capacity while in the Philippines, having been the President of the non-governmental organisation since 1970.
As part of her trip to the country, she will visit several of the charity's projects and beneficiaries, including an elementary school on the island of Leyte, having previously said visiting such facilities, "has given her great insight into the needs of children worldwide."

Britain’s Prince Charles facing pressure to commemorate Armenian Genocide


Britain's Prince Charles is facing pressure to attend commemorations for the Armenian Genocide.
Archbishop Avak Asadourian, Primate of the Diocese of the Armenian Church of Iraq has penned a letter to the prince asking him to reconsider his decision to attend memorials for the Gallipoli Campaign on April 24, suggesting it would be offensive to ignore the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, which will occur on the same day.
He wrote: "On April 24th, the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, the republic of Armenia is going to organize a commemoration. On that very day, the republic of Turkey has decided to commemorate the battle of Gallipoli in which the Ottoman Empire fought against Britain and its allies. Undoubtedly, this event is not about commemorating the battle of Gallipoli. This is about exterminating the memory of a race and showing how rewarding and gratifying this ultimate crime can be."
The archbishop explained he decided to write the letter after the British Prime Minister, David Cameron, declined an invitation to the commemorations, which will remember the 1 to 1.5 million Armenian people who were killed.
He continued: "I am addressing this letter to you because, I learned that the British Prime Minister declined to participate in the commemoration of the centenary of the Genocide."
"You will also see how those officials that governed Great Britain a century' ago will look at this participation in the same way that you will look on those who will represent Great Britain in such commemoration in a hundred years.
"So, I will leave it at this, knowing what a: humane person you are when I met Your Royal Highness on November 19, 2014, and hinging my hopes that Great Britain will live up to its values."
The 66-year-old royal is yet to make a comment about the letter or his plans to attend the Gallipoli Campaign memorial in Turkey.

Britain’s Prince Charles’s former school faces closure


Britain's Prince Charles's former school has been threatened with closure.
The 66-year-old Prince of Wales attended Hill House Independent Junior School as a youngster but the institution in Kensington, London, has now been slammed by inspectors who say the £14,000-a-year facility is not up to scratch.
Regulatory watchdog Ofsted rated the west London school "inadequate" across all five categories of examination, with ministers now reviewing the establishment, which was also attended by 'Hard Out Here' singer Lily Allen.
The report criticised the school - which was founded in 1951 - for breaching health and safety standards while also failing to ensure a good standard of learning for its 1000 pupils.
It reads: "Too few pupils make adequate progress across the school, particularly in writing and mathematics.
"Leaders and proprietors do not have the capacity to secure essential improvements. They are not taking any action to secure effective teaching. They do not know if pupils are making the progress of which they are capable."
A spokesman from the Department for Education said: "We have just received a copy of Ofsted's published report following an inspection at Hill House International Junior School.
"Ministers are studying that report and will confirm their decisions about regulatory action shortly.
"It would be wrong to take any decisions until we have studied the findings, but all options remain open - including closure."

Duchess Catherine visits Downton Abbey set


Britain's Duchess Catherine visited the set of 'Downton Abbey' today (12.03.15).
The 33-year-old beauty met cast and crew members from the ITV period drama and received a tour of the set at Ealing Film Studios in west London, having previously admitted she is an avid viewer of the programme.
After arriving at the studios, Catherine - who was dressed in an elegant cream coat from maternity label Jojo Maman Bebe - was presented with a bunch of flowers by four-year-old actor Zac Barker, who plays Master George in the show.
During the tour, the royal - who is eight months pregnant - met cast members including Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary), Hugh Bonneville and Elizabeth McGovern (Lord and Lady Grantham) and Joanne Froggatt (Anna Bates), who tweeted about the royal visit earlier in the morning.
She wrote: "Ooooo, we've got an exciting day ahead on the Downton set, a very special visitor is popping in..... X (sic)."
Unfortunately Dame Maggie Smith was unable to be present on set due to illness, but filming for the show's sixth series continued under the watchful eye of the duchess.
As well as receiving a sneak-peek of a forthcoming scene filmed in the servants quarters during her 90-minute visit, Catherine toured the prop store, construction workshop, hair and make-up department and bedroom sets, and was presented with a chocolate cake topped with the 'Downton Abbey' logo in the kitchen.
The visit was arranged by Kensington Palace to "celebrate the success of the award-winning production" which is broadcast in 250 territories around the world.

Duchess Catherine forgets she’s pregnant


Britain's Duchess Catherine forgets she's pregnant.
The 33-year-old royal is almost eight months pregnant with her second child, but revealed her growing bump sometimes slips from her mind.
The duchess made the comment during a trip to the seaside town of Margate on Wednesday (11.03.15), where she met local residents.
One local, Jenny Cranstone, explained: "I said, 'You're looking very trim.'
"She said, 'I sometimes forget I'm pregnant.'"
During her visit to the area, in which she received a tour of the Turner Contemporary art gallery, Catherine also spoke about her and her husband Prince William's 19-month-old son Prince George, who she admitted is "running around quite a lot" at the moment.
After chatting to the duchess about the tot, resident Tamsin Landells said: "He sounds quite a handful - she is chasing after him a little bit."
As well as the residents outside, the duchess spoke with artists inside the gallery, including photographer Trish Morrissey who praised her for continuing with her official royal engagements, despite being just a month away from giving birth.
She told PEOPLE magazine: "I don't envy her. At that same stage of being pregnant I was lying around at home eating chocolate on sofa. Hats off to her."

Duchess Catherine visits art galleries


Britain's Duchess Catherine toured two art galleries on Wednesday (11.03.15).
The 33-year-old royal visited the seaside town of Margate in Kent to look around the Turner Contemporary where she spoke with the artists as well as children who were creating their own art in the gallery.
Among the pieces Catherine saw was the final self-portrait by Sir Anthony Van Dyck, as well as a number of more modern displays including a shocking life-size cast of a man lying on the floor by Jeremy Millar titled "Self portrait as a drowned man".
The young royal - who is married to Prince Williams - is no stranger to to the creative world, having graduated from the University of St Andrews in Scotland with a degree in History of Art.
After greeting fans outside the Turner Contemporary, Catherine visited an exhibition at the Resort Studios which features photo montages of local residents, and received a tour of the general workspaces which encourage artistic experimentation.
During the visit, Catherine was once again praised for her style, covering her baby bump in a £169 dalmatian-print coat from the high street retailer Hobbs.
The appearance was one of just a handful of official engagements she will complete in the next few days before she takes a break to give birth to her second child, with sources suggesting her due date is April 25.

Prince Harry speaks to Chelsy Davy ‘nearly every day’


Britain's Prince Harry speaks to ex-girlfriend Chelsy Davy "nearly every day".
The 30-year-old royal had an on/off relationship with the former solicitor from 2004 until 2011 but it now seems the pair could be heading for a reconciliation after seeing each other at the memorial service for a mutual friend Henry Van Straubenzee in December.
A source revealed: "Harry and Chelsy have always had amazing chemistry.
"They are talking nearly every day."
The 29-year-old Zimbabwean national split from her boyfriend Charles Goode three months ago, and now pals of the prince are hoping he may be able to give his relationship with Chelsy another shot, as they claim she is "the one that got away" who Harry has never quite got over.
The source told the Daily Star newspaper: "Everyone jokes that Chelsy is Harry's Camilla because, like Camilla for his father, Chelsy is the one woman Harry could never get over."
However, the blonde beauty has previously revealed she has no wish to be part of the royal family, so wouldn't want to ever marry the prince.
In 2011 she reportedly told pals: "There's no way we are getting married. It's not a life for me."

Princess Anne meets Benedict Cumberbatch


Britain's Princess Anne met Benedict Cumberbatch at a charity dinner on Tuesday (10.03.15).
The Motor Neurone Disease Association reception was held at Buckingham Palace in London where guests including the 'Sherlock' actor, Professor Stephen Hawking, Michael Ball and Victoria Wood joined the Princess Royal.
As well as greeting the theoretical physicist, the 64-year-old royal - who was wearing a heavily-embellished, colourful top and a navy blue skirt - spoke with Benedict and his pregnant wife, Sophie Hunter.
The 'Imitation Game' actor was attending the event as a patron of the charity, having supported the association for 11 years since portraying Professor Hawking - who suffers with a rare form of the illness - in the BBC drama 'Hawking' in 2003.
As well as a host of actors and comedians, the Princess Royal - who is the charity's royal patron - was joined by presenters of 'This Morning' including Susanna Reid and Ben Shephard.
Also in attendance was Professor Hawking's first wife, Jane Hawking, who used the royal reception to call for a government overhaul on its policies for disabled people.
She told the Daily Mail newspaper: "I think the Government needs to do a big overhaul of its policy towards disabled people, towards people with degenerative illnesses and it needs to provide much better support and it needs to have a system for vetting carers who go into people's homes."

Must Read

Rhys Ifans sings on previously unheard Super Furry Animals track

Super Furry Animals have released a previously unheard track featuring Rhys Ifans. The House of the Dragon star had...

Gene Simmons slams idea of hip hop in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Gene Simmons has insisted "hip-hop does not belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame". The KISS icon...

Niall Horan is in the studio putting finishing touches on fourth album

Niall Horan is hoping to release music from his fourth album "some time this year". The former One Direction...