Thursday, August 20, 2026

Sam Smith working on ‘more electro and intense’ new record

Sam Smith is already working on another album. The 34-year-old singer will release Hazel Eyes, the follow-up to 2023's...

Latest Posts

Def Leppard’s Vivian Campbell reveals his cancer has returned

Def Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell says his cancer has returned - but he’s determined to keep living life to the fullest.

Sam Smith says Madonna’s music is ‘a lifeline’ for queer people

Sam Smith says Madonna's music has been a crucial "lifeline" for queer people - and a personal anchor for them as an...

Ariana Grande asks judge to help unmask hackers behind years of leaked music

Ariana Grande is taking her fight against alleged music hackers to the next level - asking a judge to let her dig...

Evanescence star Amy Lee is ‘grounded and lifted’ by the band’s fans after live shows

Amy Lee feels "grounded and lifted" in a spiritual sense after the new Evanescence album. The 44-year-old singer, best...

CBBC axing Newsround afternoon bulletins after almost 50 years

CBBC is axing the ‘Newswound’ afternoon school bulletins after almost five decades.

From September, the Beeb’s children’s programme will air just one report in the morning as the broadcaster looks to prioritise investment in online news.

The plans – which have been approved by Ofcom after being proposed back in November last year – are part of a move to increase children’s news content online.

Reducing the number of bulletins on television will allow for an increase in online ‘Newsround’ stories from around four a day to 20.

In a statement, editor Paul Plunkett said: "Our ‘Newsround’ online audience averages one million users every week. During lockdown we set a new weekly record of an incredible 1.7 million users.

"The number of children watching the bulletins on CBBC TV channel have been declining for a number of years, so we need to shift resources to where the kids are. The changes are being led by them."

He added that ending mid-morning and teatime bulletins would also allow CBBC to employ its "first, full-time environment journalist".

Meanwhile, the show will continue to deliver its in-depth specials, and a ‘Newsround’ YouTube channel is set to launch in September.

He added: "Given Newsround’s long and proud heritage these changes aren’t ones we’ve taken lightly.

"Nor is it about saving money – the amount we spend on ‘Newsround’ will stay the same.

"But these changes are necessary if ‘Newsround’ is to mean as much for the next generation as it already has for the millions of kids who’ve watched it for nearly 50 years."

The changes come 48 years after ‘Newsround’ – currently hosted by Ricky Boleto, Martin Dougan and Nazia Mogra – first launched on BBC One.

BBC had asked Ofcom to reduce the number of required hours of live TV news from 85 hours per year to 35, which leaves them open to limit the five-to-10 minute bulletins to one a day.

Latest Posts

Def Leppard’s Vivian Campbell reveals his cancer has returned

Def Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell says his cancer has returned - but he’s determined to keep living life to the fullest.

Sam Smith says Madonna’s music is ‘a lifeline’ for queer people

Sam Smith says Madonna's music has been a crucial "lifeline" for queer people - and a personal anchor for them as an...

Ariana Grande asks judge to help unmask hackers behind years of leaked music

Ariana Grande is taking her fight against alleged music hackers to the next level - asking a judge to let her dig...

Evanescence star Amy Lee is ‘grounded and lifted’ by the band’s fans after live shows

Amy Lee feels "grounded and lifted" in a spiritual sense after the new Evanescence album. The 44-year-old singer, best...

Don't Miss

Roxy Music dig up lost tapes and unheard demos for massive For Your Pleasure reissue

Roxy Music are cracking open the vaults for a huge reissue of their era‑defining second album For Your Pleasure, arriving November 6.

BTS star V reveals hearing issues amid ARIRANG tour

BTS member V has opened up about a long‑running hearing issue, telling fans he’s been receiving medication and hospital care for more...

Megan Thee Stallion says new album ACT III will feature ‘gag‑worthy’ collaborations

Megan Thee Stallion has promised major surprises on her upcoming album ACT III, telling fans that the record will deliver collaborations they’ve...

Ritchie Blackmore reunites with Deep Purple for first performance in 33 years

Ritchie Blackmore reunited onstage with Deep Purple after more than 30 years to perform iconic '70s tune Smoke on the Water.

Metalcore royalty Oli Sykes and Courtney LaPlante team up on song for Valorant

Bring Me The Horizon frontman Oli Sykes and Spiritbox bandleader Courtney LaPlante have joined forces on a song for Valorant.

Stay in touch

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.