Tom Petty not addicted to drugs

Tom Petty not addicted to drugs

Tom Petty’s daughter has insisted her late father was not addicted to drugs, after it was confirmed his death was caused by an accidental overdose.
The ‘I Won’t Back Down’ hitmaker passed away back in October at the age of 66 and the coroner announced on Friday (19.01.18) that his death was a result of an "over use of medication".
Now, his daughter Annakim, 35, has taken to social media to insist that her father was not addicted to the medication he was taking, which he was prescribed because of unbearable hip pain.
She wrote on Instagram: "Thomas Earl Petty lived a million lifetimes in one. He over came much psychic pain from an abusive childhood by transforming his anger into the greatest rock n roll band ever. My dad in the past openly overcame a crippling drug problem with no shame.
"His recent death is tragic yet he died from doing what he loved and what will continue to keep his spirit alive. Touring with a broken hip because he would have it no other way. He loved performing. There are no hypothetical questions I love my dad and feel he is an immortal badass.
"The amount of pain his hip caused was beyond a normal surgery. He is at peace out of pain. I thank you for respecting my family’s privacy and inviting love during this shocking new chapter. My dad loved his life and left behind so much love in his music for us to share. Invite love listen to Tom Petty. He passed away with his family in a room filled with love. I feel very connected to him give love to everyone you meet we are connected by love #invitelove much love to you and much love to u dad (sic)"
Tom’s family revealed the reason behind his passing in a statement posted to the musician’s website on Friday.
It read: "Unfortunately, Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip. Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.
"On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication."